Monday, December 11, 2006

168 hrs with the flu...

A storm of germs swept me away into a hellish state known as the flu. It has taken 7 whole days to recover (with the aid of day and night nurse). I am quite sure (and friends would agree) that the loss of appetite has led to a reduction in body weight.

Since I was unable to do much else other than laze around, I finally decided to read some essays written by Dr Victor Frankl. He discusses the torment he experienced in a camp during the Second World War. What sets this read apart from other autobiographical essays and books is that it is not written like a story - he analyses his experience from a psychological and scientific point of view. I still have a bit more to read, but I can definitely see the correlation between his essays and the making of Covey's habits (another book to finish!). Which reminds me, has anybody read Sean Covey's book? I think that would be a treat to read...

As I was ploughing through more books, I came across The Game by Neill Strauss, which I bought about a year ago. Now that is a funny read. It sets out to help an average frustrated chump pick up girls. Why did I buy it then? I first heard about this book whilst I was in New York, in the company of a particular person (who will remain as an unidentified object) and I did not take much notice. Then when I arrived back into the UK, I innocently overheard somebody else talking about it in Starbucks. So my eager self could not wait to burn 20 quid to get it. So I read it and actually started to think like a man! Maybe Strauss wrote it in a way to incorporate an element of Neuro Linguistic Programming? Who knows but I guess some of the stuff in there could actually work, that is, if the girl hasn't read it too ; )

I have yet to finish that book. A page remains folded about half way through maybe because I was afraid of turning into a man-minder, or I landed a job!

1 comment:

Tom Bailey said...

You got the flu after your birthday? I hope you get better. Green tea, raw onions, blueberries and broccoli are foods that work to help me heal.

I hope you feel better soon.